Wednesday 31 October 2012

A Bit About Me...

Hi, for those of you who don't know me, my name's Ji-Min Lee. The reason why I initially decided to set this blog up was down to the fact that just over a month ago I managed to tear up some of the ligaments in my left ankle playing in a football match for my school (Westminster) against Brentwood. I was on crutches for four weeks and am only expected to get back playing until after Christmas, so naturally I have a certain degree of free time as I wait for it to heal up. So what sort of things am I gonna talk about on this space? As you've probably gathered from the title of this blog, my two greatest passions in life are: Science and Sport. In terms of the former, I'm currently studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish in the Sixth Form (Lower Sixth/Year 12) at Westminster School, gearing towards my AS Levels at the end of this academic year and eventually my A Levels in the summer of 2014. After that, I haven't really made up my mind yet about where I want to go and what it is that I want to do (getting there in the first place will be an achievement in itself!). That said, I am fairly confident that I'll end up doing something Medical-related; and as someone who enjoys working with kids, I can see myself maybe becoming a paediatrician when the time comes. At the same time, however, I'd be lying if I said I'd turn down a job offer from Old Trafford or the BernabĂ©u to work on their medical team if they came calling!

You won't see better man-marking anywhere
This leads me perfectly on to the latter of my two aforementioned passions: Sport. For the past five or so weeks I've been out for, I've genuinely not been able to function properly! I'm not even joking - it's honestly an integral part of my everyday life, so having it taken away from me, I must confess, is pretty gutting. It's difficult to single out one individual sport I love more than the others, but I guess the sport I love playing/watching the most is (unimaginatively) football. I've played since before I can remember, every year taking it more and more seriously. I'd like to think that I've also improved from year to year! I recollect playing in goal for my first club team at the age of 7, but ever since then I've gradually moved up the pitch to centre-half, then to a holding midfielder, until now where I play more as a box-to-box midfielder. Stevie G and Yaya Touré, you may want to take note... At the moment, I solely play for the Westminster School 1st XI, but as a youngster I had trials for Southampton F.C. in conjunction with my former club team Swallowfield Wasps. Having lived in Reading for my whole life, unsurprisingly, I'm a huge Royals fan. I won't talk too much about them as I'm still mourning over our inexcusable, yet mesmerising, 7-5 defeat to Arsenal in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday. Disgusting. As for other sports, I used to (and kind of still try to) run a lot; both track and cross-country, although the latter has always been somewhat of an uphill struggle for me. That said, I did manage to qualify for the London Schools' Cross Country team in 2010 as a reserve. On the track, I predominantly run 800m, but I've sort of been experimenting by under/over-distancing with the 400 and 1500. Also, I can't get enough of the Diamond League events on BBC3 during the athletics season. Just saying. Other sports I enjoy include: golf, tennis, American football, cricket, rugby (union more than league) and snooker.

Hopefully, I've been successful in expressing my love for both science and sport. As I mentioned earlier, it's definitely not regarded by many as the most orthodox mix, but I'm hoping to try and integrate the two in the future.     

No comments:

Post a Comment